Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Narcooses - Grand Floridian (Dinner 2007)

My fav Chef at WDW is Chef Gray at Citricos.  However I was told last year when I returned to Citricos for dinner that Chef Gray was moved to Narcoose.  This place had a horrible reputation for blase food and service.  So I could understand why they moved Chef Gray to pump things up.

Once Catwoman and I get there, they seat us not far from the door and I ask if Chef Gray is working tonight (he better be).  They tell me he is no longer there.  What?  WHAT??!!!!  I explain that they only reason I was eating here was because of Chef Gray and where is he and what did you do to him?

The hostess must have thought I was as crazy as the President of the “I want to Marry Sanjai.. Sanjay.. That Weird Kid from American Idol Fan Club”.

Catwoman is giving me the “you promised no more Lucy Ricardo stunts of insanity and I am not stuffing chocolate in my hat” type of looks.  I sit down.  I pout.  I get over it.  I try to make the best of it.

Our waiter shows up and starts to explain the saga of Chef Gray.

After I stopped crying, I met Chef Joe.  I was drawn to him since he was from Alameda , just a spit from Oakland where I am living so there was a camaraderie there.  He knew Gray and liked him a lot.  It seemed that Chef Gray is now in Georgia or Alabama or squirrel butt, Arkansas (apologies to all the good people from the wonderful State of Arkansas – I am sure not all of your cities are named after a rodents hind quarters).  He is teaching now and I’m sure opening a restaurant.  When I win the lottery, he will live with me in my castle in the sky and be my personal chef.

Anyway, back on Earth, Chef Joe asked what we were ordering.  I had decided to order the surf & turf because I never get good lobster and we are on the dining plan so I figured it would be cost effective.  He was disappointed.  While the surf & turf is a staple, he said it really isn’t anything special.  So I decided to order what he recommended as well as Catwoman.  Boy, am I so glad I did.  Narcooses is now my favorite place for dinner.  

STARTERS:


I had the Chef's Special - Crispy Buttermilk Fried Oysters - $15
Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce And Cajun Remoulade
The oysters were so soft and flavorful.  The crispy batter was light and not greasy at all.  The sauces paired so well I couldn't decide which I liked better and ended up combining them.  Dipping in one and then the other.


Catwoman had Beet & Goat Cheese Salad - $12
Oranges, Frisee, Candied Pecans, and Orange Honey Vinaigrette
She found this tart, sweet and crisp all at once.  The flavors blended well together.

ENTREES


I had the other Chef's Special: Pan Roasted Tile Fish - $32
Angel Hair Pasta, Fennel, Swiss Chard and Olive-Tomato Tapenade
This fish was delicate, perfectly cooked and full of flavor.

Catwoman had the Grilled Sea Scallops - $34
Green Garlic Risotto and Lobster Sauce
Scallops are so easy to overcook.  These were tender, perfect char on the outside and soft on the inside.  Not rubbery at all.  The sauce and the garlic paired perfectly with the delicate seafood without overpowering it.


At this point we had the cheese plate before our dessert - $12
The cheeses were Humbolt Fog, Maytag Blue and Pleasent Ridge Reserve served with Walnut Compote.  He added a Reggiano as well.  The cheese was sharp, tangy, a tad sour and altogether yummy.

However I am allergic to Blue Cheese so Chef Joe brought the blue cheese on its own plate for Catwoman


For dessert we had the Coconut-Mango Panna Cotta wrapped in orange chocolate and served with kiwi sorbet $7
This was a refreshing end to our meal.  Light, tangy, fruity and refreshing.  The kiwi sorbet was amazing and it paired nicely with the mango mousse.

I should also mention we had two cocktails:
Catwoman had the Narcarita - $9
Sauza Tequilla, Triple Sec, Sour Mix, and Splash of Grand Marnier

I had the Florida Breeze - $7
Banana Liquor, Malibu Rum, Orange Juice and Pineapple Juice.

YUMMY!  This is defiantly a keeper as long as Chef Joe is at the helm.

No comments:

Post a Comment