Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Artist Point - Wilderness Lodge

I always start off my vacation with Artist Point and this is no exception.  This makes my 5th visit in a row.  The food is always consistent and tonight was no exception.

We both started off with the Shiitake Mushroom Soup with Chive Oil. $9

This is the most amazing soup.  Now that the Disney Dining Plan has taken away appetizers as well as soup/salad I will have to pay out of pocket for it and will do so gladly.  The smoky flavor of the mushrooms with the creamy texture and the hint of chive oil just make this soup so good I want to lick the bowl – A








Living Lettuces with Cucumber, Radish and Lemon Vinaigrette - $9
As I don't eat rabbit food very much, this one was in the court of my dining partner. She declared it a nice light salad with a nice bite. Grade: B


Pan Crusted Black Cod - with wild mushroon, onion and bacon ragout, polenta puree and white truffle vinaigrette $31

This was really lovely! The fish was cooked to perfection. The fish had great color and a bit of char on the outside but was buttery soft inside. It paired wonderfully with the mushrooms, bacon and the puree.


For our mains, I had the Grilled Buffalo Sirloin Steak - with sweet potato-hazelnut gratin and sweet onion jam $45
This was a very nice cut of meat. I wish it would have had a tiny more kick to it but still exceptional. The meat was tender, not gamey but lean.  The sweetness of the onion jam paired with the char was lovely. The potatoes were good but since I prefer sweet potatoes over yams, I marked them down. If you like yams, this is a really nice dish. The nutty crunch is very nice with the yams. BTW - yams are orange, sweet potatoes are yellow.  I still had half of this left that I put in the fridge in my room to have for breakfast the next day.  Grade: A-  


Catwoman had the Pan-seared Pork Chop on Tillamook Cheddar Mac and Cheese with Maytag Crust $36
I wish I could have tasted this.  But I am allergic to the blue cheese.  She told me the pork was tender, juicy and perfectly cooked.  The Mac and Cheese paired with the sharp cheese just perfect.  I commented that this was ripped off from Jiko and their filet with mac and cheese and then find out that Chef Annette over there use to be here at Artist Point and this is her dish  Figures.



Valrhona Chocolate Truffle Cake with Soarin' Honey-Blood Orange Coulis - $9
This dessert is visually stunning however the cake is a bit too dry and overpowered by the sauce. I'm not much of a "ton o' chocolate" person but it looked lovely. Grade: B-






Anjou Pear Tart with Ice Wine Mousse - $8



This was really nice. The textures of the soft crust with the flan like fruit filling coupled with the Ice Wine Mousse was light and refreshing. Too bad this is leaving the menu very soon due to low orders. Get it while you still can. Grade: B+


OK, I can't even read the rest of my notes after that, my writing had become so poor due to the late hour and the wine. I do remember that the kids there were well behaved and the atmosphere was lovely as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment